ACLENet's objectives reach across Africa
The African Centres for Lightning and Electromagnetics Network is a not-for-profit organization with national centres in Africa registered as a non-governmental organizations (NGO) or companies limited by guarantee. ACLENet operates within the cultural paradigms in each African nation to achieve these goals:
1) To assess the impact of lightning on each nation’s citizens and economy.
2) To work with governments to assure that code-compliant lightning protection systems are designed for new schools and other important buildings.
3) To educate teachers, parents, pupils and the general public on lightning safety.
4) To work with universities to train Africa’s own lightning experts for the future.
5) To improve training and professional qualifications of engineers, architects and electrical installers in lightning protection.
6) To advise on code-compliant lightning protection of utilities and other economically important industries.
7) To improve the availability of accurate and timely lightning data, weather forecasting, and warnings.
ACLENet is incorporated in the United States as a non-profit, tax-exempt company (501c3) as required by many granting agencies.